This is an especially interesting and creative time for PBS-TV stations across the country. Advances in technology, less stable funding sources, and the changing ways in which people consume content are all prompting stations to explore new operational models.
Thus, the Nine Network recently added a more entrepreneurial element to our funding efforts. Among our unique assets are vast technical resources, deep expertise, and untapped capacity related to digital processing. Our new “V9 Digital preservation services” will let us offer those same strengths to outside clients. They gain access to high-quality, highly affordable audio and video preservation/digitization services, and we are able to leverage an underutilized resource — a win/win.
We are now seeking our first preservation service Account Manager. As with any start-up, initial responsibilities include working with the Marketing Department to get the word out, establishing enough new client relationships to stabilize the program, and earning a reputation for excellent customer care. Longer-term goals include building our brand until we are considered a go-to provider of these services and using this service to generate a significant income stream for the station.
On the “technical” side, the Account Manager will work closely with the Senior Technician to help prospective clients assess their preservation needs and design customized solutions. That requires that this person can think creatively about how our services can be adapted to address a broad range of client needs. This person must also have a solid understanding of the technical aspects of alternative approaches to audio and video preservation.
On the “sales” side, the Account Manager must be able to “close the sale.” We expect a service-oriented sales style, not a hard-sell approach, but success will still require mastery of particular sales skills. Following the sale, this person must develop and maintain strong, ongoing relationships with each client. That will require initiative, self-discipline, open communication, and frequent travel.
On the “administrative” side, the Account Manager will be required to help write grant requests and responses to RFPs, provide quotes for prospective clients, navigate the government contracting process, keep up with client communication, maintain careful records, track performance data, and write reports.
Requirements: (1) A bachelor’s degree (preferably in media, media relations, or business)
(2) Demonstrated success in roles that required initiative, self-management, and people skills
(3) Demonstrated success in roles that required sales techniques or other persuasion skills
For the right person, this is a rare opportunity to combine a strong commitment to public media with an entrepreneurial mindset. To apply, please send…
- A resume that includes education and work history
- A well-written cover letter that describes how you meet the above criteria. Please include salary requirement.
- The names of three professional references who can speak to the above qualifications. (Include a previous supervisor if possible.) Include contact information and how you know each one. (We will not contact your references unless you become a finalist, and we would contact you first.)
- Strong understanding of audio and video preservation/digitization services
- Ability to assist clients in various media management needs
- Understanding of the concept of legacy content
- Understanding of the value proposition to clients of asset management, archival storage, and metadata creation
- Ability to maintain strong client relationships and maintain strong, open communication
- Knowledge of digital codecs and wrappers
- Knowledge of the various types of tapes, film, and reel to reel within a client library
- Competency performing RFP’s
- Understanding of the government contract process
- Understanding of a post-production process
- Understanding of the film production process
- Ability to travel to meet clients
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Preferred degree in media relations, media, or business
- Work experience in media production and sales preferred
Send your materials to: email@example.com. The Nine Network is an equal opportunity employer.